Friday, August 24, 2012

The Divine

Author's Note: I have struggled to write this since December of 2011. It was meant to be my first crack at a full-length novel, and yet for some reason I could not quite get it out. I would write a paragraph or two, edit them. Delete them.

I would save the draft and come back to it over the weeks, months, only to begin the process over again.

Tonight I had the idea that if I could not quite get it out in the way I had originally intended, then perhaps a different format was required. I thought of the poem that inspired Stephen King's Dark Tower Series, "Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came", by Robert Browning. 

Here was a lengthy poem that told a story. And while mine does not rhyme and isn't nearly as long, it tells, to some degree, the tale that I needed to tell.

As many of my stories do, it began with tears. But what sparked the idea was a simple dedication, or declaration, in a wonderful book - The Prince of Thorns by Mark Lawrence. I do not know who he dedicated the book to, other than a name, nor what the dedication actually means. 

But it meant something to me.

All relationships, all loves have their good and bad moments. They have times when everything seems so right, and times when it all seems wrong. 

But it is never wrong to love. As Stephen Levine once said, love is the only rational act.

Love is the only rational act.

It isn't perfect, by any stretch, but then again... 

*****

"...the best parts were never broken."

He battled for years against many a foe
Defeated them all without a scratch
"Invincible" were the rumored tales
His wings outstretched, his halo bright

A rescue one day would change his life
He was mesmerized by her shining eyes
They fell in love thought there were concerns
if his enemies learned she might come to harm

She held his secret close to her heart
And at the end of the day he would come back to her
But time has a way of adding to strife
His love was afraid of losing him

She cried one night and begged him to stop
in her heart she knew it was a matter of time
So in the midst of battle she went out to him
Beseeched him to end it and just be with her

Distracted by this he was struck a blow from behind
In a brilliant flash his wings blew apart
He fell from the sky as a blazing ball of flame,
left a small crater where he crashed to the earth.

She ran to his side with tears in her eyes
Held his shattered form within her small arms
Blood trickled out as he struggled to speak
"I'm sorry," she said as she looked in his eyes.

"You were there for them all, I wanted you for me."
He looked into her eyes with tears flowing down
And smiled at the woman he had come to love
"It was always for you," he weakly spoke.

"I wanted to be worthy of the love that you gave."
With a groan and a grimace he pulled her close as he could.
A tear of blood fell from his eye
The wind swept up his broken feathers

Together they cried for the very last time

"I'm sorry," he said. "I left so much unspoken."
She said, "No my love...the best parts were unbroken."

Then with a shudder in her arms and a soft, gentle sigh
She watch her dear love, The Divine, slowly die.
The hero who had rescued her from above
Paid the ultimate price for the sake of their love

3 comments:

  1. Wow... very awesome poem!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The dedication was for my daughter (now 8) who was born very disabled. I'm glad the words sparked such a rush of creativity! Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the explanation. That explains the love that the words seem to convey. If you have the time you might enjoy a fairy tale I wrote called Fairy Godmother. It's meant for older children, but the lesson is sound. And thank you for the kind words; it's nice to know when someone has seen what I wrote.

      Delete