Friday, August 24, 2012

Phone calls and signs

"So if you're lonely, you know I'm here..." - Take Me Out, Franz Ferdinand

As the plane began its slow descent I knew that the butterflies in my stomach were from more than the change in altitude. Sure I had come back to see family, but I had also returned because home kept calling to me. ("Home is where the heart is.")

I had had dreams for weeks; they felt so real. Dreams of a hand, long absent, once again in mine. Eyes that I had longed to gaze into. A smile.

A whispered "I love you" in the soft grey-blue of the morning light...

And each time I would awaken, alone. Lost.

I would lay there for hours, thinking of what I needed to say ("It's only you"), what I needed to make known ("It can only be you"), what I needed to tell you ("You are the last I will love, the one that is home to my heart").

But as I sit here thinking ("Fortune favors the bold"), I realize that courage has eluded me. I am afraid, and I am hoping for a sign. Whispered words on the other end of the phone.

("I still love you. Come grow old with me.")

No comments:

Post a Comment