Thursday, March 7, 2013

Little Lies

Author's Note: It's funny where inspiration can come frome. Even funnier what you'll be inspired to write. This came from a very snowy morning. At 3AM I awoke to about 3 inches of powder on the ground. By noon we had almost a foot.

I'm not sure where this poem comes from. Most of what I write is about me or how I'm feeling. This one isn't. It just came out.

The last two lines were added when I was rewriting it. I thought it made the poem feel more complete, but now I'm not sure that I like them being there at all. Something about the tone of them seems off. I've included them, nonetheless, italicized.

If you read this, let me know what you think about the last two lines (or the poem in general). Feedback is nice.

*****

The earth, wrapped up, in a blanket of white
That silently fell from the heavens last night
With blues and greys, quiet and cold
The world filled with little white lies that she told

Blue like the eyes that looked into his own
Grey like the morning when he knew she was gone
Quiet like their home after she went away
Cold like his heart, which she left that way

Lies that she spoke that he didn't quite see
Lies spoken of a love, never meant to be
Now he falls silent into winter's womb
He'll lay there 'til covered in an icy, white tomb

1 comment:

  1. Nice poem... packed with emotion...(as usual). id probably leave the last two lines off... its fine either way. But that'd be my vote. Nice work tho... you are good with words.

    ReplyDelete