Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Deer in the Headlights

Author's Note: So...I hit a couple deer the other night while I was going to a friend's house for pie. I'd never done that before (hit a deer, not eat pie) and I hope to never do so again. It definitely spiked my pulse and blood pressure, plus, I just felt kind of shitty about it. Anyway, to process it I wrote a poem. Enjoy!

*****

Time slows down,
my music stops.
They seem frozen there in time.
My truck was never meant to stop
or turn upon a dime.
The tires screech,
my knick-knacks fly.
I veer hard to the right.
Trying to avoid a herd
of deer racing in fright.
I'm sideways now.
I'm off the road.
I feel my tires slide.
I see the terror in her eyes,
she slams into the side.
Another in the front,
in her eyes I see dread.
Then hear the "THUMP" as my light
makes contact with her head.
With time slowed down
I saw them both,
I'm unsure what to do.
All I wanted was some fucking pie!
I didn't want to slam into...
deer.

No comments:

Post a Comment