Saturday, June 9, 2012

In the Evening Air


His swift feet, silent in the night.
His adversary roars out in  fright.
The pulsing blood fuels his inner fire,
And soon slakes the thirst of the old vampire.

Mary was a waitress at Joe's Diner. She was a pretty girl and wore little makeup. She had sandy blonde hair, large green eyes and full, red lips. Her tips always added up nicely at the end of the day, due to the large number of gentleman that admired her looks. She was kind and always had a smile for them, which didn't hurt.

Tonight was no different where tips were concerned. The diner had closed an hour ago. After counting her cash and helping Joe do some cleaning, she headed out the door.

There was a slight chill in the air, and she hugged her warm coat contentedly. She wasn't concerned about the cold, even enjoyed it. And her apartment was only about 6 blocks away. It was a nice, clear night. The stars were shining and the moon was full. She gazed at them for a moment, smiled, and began the trek home.

She had been strolling along, enjoying the evening air, for about a block. As she neared 2nd and Main, she noticed a man standing there, looking at his cell phone and waiting for the light. It seemed odd to her because in this small town, at this late hour, Main Street was deserted.

Maybe he is lost and checking out a map on his phone, she thought. Ever friendly, she decided to say hello to this stranger and see if he needed directions.

He turned as she approached. His face was friendly, with sharp features. His hair was dark, his eyes a golden brown that seemed to shine in what little light there was. He was well tanned. He smiled at her.

"Why hello there," said the stranger.

"Hi," said Mary. "I'm sorry if I startled you, but you looked like you might be lost."

He looked into her eyes, and at that moment, time seemed to stop for Mary. She didn't know how long she stared into the depths of his eyes, but at eventually, time caught up. The stranger was still smiling, and his light chuckle brought her out of her trance.

"Is it that obvious?"

He stepped toward her, hand extended. She took it and gave him a firm handshake. His hand was very cold. It didn't seem odd to her, given the weather.

"My name is Jack," he said softly. His voice was smooth, relaxing. Already Mary felt like she could listen to that voice for the rest of her life and never get tired of it. She giggled at her silly, school girl thought.

"Mary," she said. She had thought to release his hand, but he held on.

The stranger continued to smile.

"Mary," he sighed. "A classic name to match your classic good looks."

She blushed at this. She felt oddly uncomfortable. However, it was because she didn't feel more uncomfortable than she did. It was strange.

"My dear, I must admit to you a slight fib." He place his other hand upon hers, gently brushed his finger over her smooth white skin. "I am not lost. I was waiting."

He paused.

"For you."

Mary was confused. Why would he be waiting for her?  She asked him this.

"Because I owe a debt to you. Rather, I owe a debt to a man by the name of William, whom I knew as a boy."

A spark recognition in her mind. Her father's name was William. But there was no way Jack could have known him, not as a boy anyway.

"My dad is 53. You look to be 30 at most. When did you meet him?"

"I knew him when he was 13 years old. He rescued me."

This was impossible, but Mary was intrigued.

"He...rescued you? How is that possible? You wouldn't even have been born yet."

"On the contrary," said Jack. "In fact, I was one of his teachers."

Her mind reeled at this. Was Jack crazy? If so, then why, even now, did she feel safe around him?

"And he rescued me by not giving up my secret. A secret that he still maintains to this very day."

"And what secret is that," she asked. Suddenly aware that her hand was still in his, she gave it a slight pull. He released it immediately.

"Sorry," he said. "Yes, my secret. One that he came upon when playing in a field near his old home."

There was a noise in the distance then, the bang of a garbage can perhaps. Mary began to turn toward it.

"No," said Jack. "Don't look. Please."

Again he took up her hand.

"Listen, I'll keep this short. Your father came to know my secret when he was 13. I on the otherhand, was 260."

Mary scoffed. "What?"

"I don't have time to explain. But I have been hunting a creature that has, in turn, been hunting you."

He looked over her shoulder. In the distance he saw a large creature silhoutted under a street light. It was stalking toward them.

"It has been sniffing you out for about a week now. Perhaps you recall a gentleman that you met recently? One who has been coming to your diner everyday?"

Mary immediately knew who he was talking about. There was a man, new in town. He had been coming into the diner when she worked. He was good looking enough, but the way he had looked at her was disquieting. Like he had been sizing up a meal. She had asked about him, but no one knew who he was.

Jack took her quiet as confirmation.

"He is coming for you now. I swore to your father that I would pay him back for protecting me. I am doing that tonight."

A sudden howl pierced the evening air. It sent a shiver down Mary's spine and formed goosebumps on her skin.

"Mary." Jack's voice drew her attention immediately. He was looking into her eyes once again. "I want you to just keep walking. Keep walking and don't look back. You have my word that you will get home safely.
Promise me that you won't look back."

Mary was unsure. She was scared now, but felt comfort in Jack's gaze.

"Alright," she said. "I won't look back."

Jack stepped aside, holding out his arm to usher her on.

"Be quick, my dear."

She began to walk. She did not look back, even when she heard the roar, even when she heard the sounds of struggle. She heard Jack's voice, powerful and commanding. She heard the reply, gutteral. Animal. Beastly. And as the distance increased, she heard one last sound. The sound of something, or someone, dying.

She heard all of this, but she did not look back.

No comments:

Post a Comment