Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Heart in a Cage

"Jack," whispered Alex, his voice shuddering. "What have you done?"

Jack looked up from the table with a weak smile on his face. There was pain etched on his face. His cheeks were streaked with tears.

"It hurt, Alex," he said. "It hurt so much. I had to cut it out."

On the table, covered in blood was Jack's still beating heart.

"Will you take if for me, Alex? Just for awhile?"

Alex looked at his old friend and shuddered. His eyes filled with tears and he shook his head.

"I can't, buddy. I'm sorry."

Anguish covered Jack's face as stood abruptly, knocking his chair to the floor. He rushed toward Alex then fell to his knees. Grasping at his legs he pleaded to him.

"But you're strong! I can't do this anymore," he cried out. "Please, Alex. I can't do this anymore."

Alex looked down at his old friend and tears fell from his eyes. He reached down and gently took Jack's chin, making him look up.

"I'm so sorry, Jack," he said. "I've been trying to help you for so long. But I can't do this for you. I can't."

"Please," cried Jack. "Please help me. I know you can handle it."

"No."

The finality in Alex's voice brought a look of surprise to Jack's face. He fell back onto the floor of the kitchen, staring up at him.

"Why," Jack whispered.

Alex wanted to choose his words carefully. Saying the wrong thing would be like a nail in the coffin. He loved Jack dearly, and didn't want that.

"Jack, your heart is broken. It's weak. If I were to take it into me, it would never heal."

He crouched down beside him and looked into his sad, confused eyes.

"The only way it will heal is with time and care. But you have to do it," he continued with a grin. "I've been there my friend. I know how much it hurts. But you can do this."

Jack immediately began sobbing. He shook his head violently. "No I can't," he screamed. "I'm not as strong as you. I'm not!"

Alex suddenly reached for him, gripping his jaw. It was a firm grip, demanding his attention. There was a fire burning in his eyes that Jack had never before seen on the usually calm face.

"Yes you can," Alex growled. "I wasn't always this strong, and as much as I love you man, I'm not going to risk falling down again."

"You...fell?"

"Yes," said Alex, releasing Jack's face. "A long time ago. But I worked through it. And as impossible as it sounds right now, you will too."

"How?"

Alex's smile was broad. "I'll help you of course! I just can't take it for you."

A little smile was beginning to crack on Jack's pain ridden face. He knew his old friend would have a solution.

"It'll be difficult. But believe me, sport, it'll be worth it."

Alex stood. He reached down for Jack and helped him to his feet, then back to his chair.

Once he was seated, Jack looked up at Alex and asked, "Where do I begin?"

"Well, if it hurts too much to have it in you, then the first thing you need is a cage." He looked around the apartment for a moment, then spotted the old birdcage Jack had kept his parakeet in years ago. "This one will do."

"Now, you place your heart in the cage and lock it up. This will keep it protected. And don't let anyone but you see it for awhile."

Jack was nodding as he made mental notes.

"Your heart is like a bird. Sometimes, it will be scared or sad and just plain old freak out on you. At other times, it will sing," said Alex. "When it's singing, sing with it. And when it's freaking out, reassure it.

"And everyday, every single day, you need to feed it. Start with a little bit at a time, just to give it its strength back. Within a few days or weeks, it should be strong again."

"What do I feed it," asked Jack.

"Love, of course."

Jack slowly nodded his head in comprehension. After everything he'd been through, he had a feeling it would take at least a few weeks just to get some of its strength back. Could he wait that long?

"And yes," said Alex, reading his face. "It might take some time, but you can do it."

"How will I know that it's got its strength back? When do I let it out again?"

Alex smiled and clapped his friend on the shoulder. "That's the best part. You won't know. It will."

"It will?"

"Yes. And when it's time, you won't need to let it out. It'll burst out of the cage, singing, on its own!"

Jack smiled at the way Alex mimicked an explosion of sorts with his arms. The pain that his heart had been giving him was nearly too much to bear. Now he was seeing that his heart just needed strength and proper care.

"When do I start?"

"Right now," said Alex. "Get off your duff, put that thing away. And remember, sing when it sings. And when it's freaking out, calm it down. It won't help if you freak out too."

Jack turned away from him as he carried the heart and the cage over to the counter. He smiled as he placed the little heart inside and locked it up. He hummed quietly to it.

"Alex, I really want to thank you for this," said Jack, turning back toward his friend. "I was at my whit's end and..."

Alex was gone. He did that a lot. Jack just smiled, shook his head. He turned back to the heart.

Quiet as a whisper, it began to sing.

No comments:

Post a Comment