Thursday, September 5, 2013

Getting it right

Sometimes we set out to right something that just never quite sounds right. Edit after edit, and still...something is off. Some of these are like that. Hopefully they will make some sense to you. If not, well...TS. :)

*****

Untitled

I cannot describe beauty, nor can I picture it in my mind. When I try, my words fail me. Perhaps that is how I know you are beautiful. After all, can words to justice to a perfect sunset or describe an eagle floating silent in the clouds? Can mere imagination capture sunlight as it dances on th eedge of a waterfall, or a lonely wolf silouhetted against the pale moon...singing songs to his lost love?

No, not truly. For when they try, mo matter how true the words, no matter how vivid the imagination, something is lost.

So while I can neither describe, nor picture beauty, I know I have seen it. I know this because I have seen your face. I have no words to describe it and I cannot imagine it when I close my eyes. Beauty, therefore, is a sense of loss and feeling lost. And were I never able to look into your hazel eyes again, lost is what I truly would be.

*****
See what I mean? I had a real thought there. It sounded great in my head, but it still doesn't quite sound right when I write it. But are you at least picking up what I'm putting down? Smell what I'm stepping in? Gittin' what I'm spittin'? (That last one was a stretch, huh?)

Maybe these next ones will be more clear.

*****

Em3

She leans against the wooded frame, seated, eyes pouring over the pages of a book. In one hand she holds a cloth, and in what seems like slow motion, that hand gently dabs. The cloth, dampened with water, cools her skin, and while she may be hot, uncomfortable, her countenance appears otherwise.

There is a peace in her movements. A peace that washes over me like a wave of calm; her presence is like music to me. Her voice, an opiate. Her face like that of an angel; simple, perfection. Beautiful. (Through no fault of her own.)

In merely looking upon her I experience joy and peace, and all feels right in my world.

*****

Em4

Your voice is like a willow blowing in the gentle breeze. It is the sound of raindrops falling lightly upon a roof at night. Your voice is the sound of the ocean, sneaking little kisses upon the shore. Your voice is faery songs and children's laughter, a lover's sigh and whispered I love yous in the dark. Your quiet, little voice can break stone and melt iron. It is calm and tempestuous, yin and yang.

Your voice is that which I want to hear for all my days. But like an echo, your voice will slowly fade from my ears.

I will not regret having heard it.

*****

Good Morning

Warm morning sun, cool summer air
awake me to my darling, fair.

Her sleeping eyes, soft dreaming smile...
I count my blessings for awhile.

The warmth of the sunlight soon will wake her
and in my arms I'll gently take her.

Awoken is my lover, fair
I lay, transfixed by her sweet stare.

*****

When the Morning Dreams it Dreams of You

By starlight of the morning
In sight of fading moon
My arm I place around your waist
While gazing next to you

Orion's Belt and little clusters
of stars look down, it's true
Much like myself they sought to see
That most beautiful of views

And while your eyes are drinking them in,
a smile on your sweet lips,
the heavens fall asleep, reciprocating
and time is slowly slips.

The sky grows light and the stars are gone
like a fleet, ephemeral dream
And you've faded, too, for I am once more
All alone, it seems

*****

I don't know what to say about this next one. It works if you read it right. I suggest reading it as thought you've been drinking and are trying to sing a toast of sorts. Or stay up late and do the same thing. That's what I did.

*****

Good morning, Mother Moon
Good morning, Father Sun
the evening is over
the day has begun.

What sort of adventure awaits at my door?
Good or bad? Or just better than before?

To both of you I raise my coffee cup
And I wish both of you well
What the future brings, oh, who can say?
Only time will tell.

But I'm sure that it's swell.

*****

That last line is classic.

*****

Shadow

My shadow standing all alone
the sun rises at my back
my shadow standing all alone
I pause and ponder that

My shadow fades in the setting sun
now I understand it clear
My shadow fades in the setting sun
and you're not longer here

*****

The sun goes down over mist soaked mountains,
clouds start to blaze orange, yellow, and red.
My mind it wanders to thoughts of beauty
when suddenly, there, you're in my head.

That alabaster smile, your porcelain skin,
hands I long to hold in my own -
I reach for you and find thin air,
for I am here alone.

Once, perhaps, we could have been.
That chance faded like the sun.
Or maybe I'm kidding myself again -
a chance? Did I ever have one?

*****

Rummy

I have a straight, now three of a kind
and you eye your cards in thought.
You're strategizing to win the game,
but I don't care if I win or not

You place four aces, then call out "rummy!"
You've done it now - well played
That flash of smile on your face is worth it
even losing can make my day.

I write the scores, you hand me your cards
It's my deal...but was that just a sign?
You offered your cards, looked straight into my eyes,
And let your hand gently linger in mine.

You held the aces and all the faces
you've reached 1000 points now, it's done.
I shared a smile, held a look, and I held your touch
Be honest, here, we both know who won.


No comments:

Post a Comment